Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Value of Reading

As you may have read here a couple of weeks ago, I'm the author of a newly published book for kids, The Peril of the Sinister Scientist.
Books have always been an important part of my life. You might consider me a bookaholic who has no intention of getting into recovery. ;-)
One reason I write is to give back some of the benefits books have given me.
Reading can have a positive influence on kids in many ways and books don't need to be teachy-preachy (mine is certainly not like that) in order to make a difference. By reading fiction kids use their own imaginations and become more creative, learn to understand people who are different from themselves, and discover new ways of looking at the world. They may also get reassurance from characters who are dealing with the same sorts of problems they have, and sometimes books can provide a much-needed escape from those problems. Reading fun books prevents boredom, and vicarious adventures are much safer than some real life ones.
Of course by reading a lot kids are also improving their own language skills, which will help both with their academic learning and their ability to communicate with others.
I hope my book will be used to make a positive difference in the lives of everyone who reads it.

No comments: