Saturday, February 20, 2010

Meeting Authors

When I was a Girl Scout our troop once visited the home of a local author, Josephine Blackstock, who showed us the galley proofs of her newest book and told us about her job. That was an unforgettable experience and encouraged me become an author myself when I grew up.
After many years of doing other things I finally became a professional writer and now I truly am the author of children's books.
Today I'm at a writer's conference as a workshop leader and I've attended and spoken at many others. But it's still always a thrill for me to meet and connect with other authors, especially those who write the kind of books I enjoy reading.
And when I meet kids who enjoy books at school visits and other places I always hope some of them will be inspired to become writers themselves someday. Then perhaps they will pass the torch on to generations even farther in the future.
By the way, Blackstock is the author of a biography of John Newbery, and the most prestigious medal for the best children's books published each year is named after him. Now that's a positive influence!

No comments: