Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Changes

When I was not quite five years old and my brother was two-and-a-half we moved across the country from the East Coast to California. There were no freeways back then and the drive took ten days. We slept in motels and usually ate in coffee shops since fast food hadn't been invented yet.
For the entire trip my brother refused to eat anything but peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. If those weren't available where we stopped he usually wouldn't eat anything at all.
That comfort food was one familiar thing when almost everything else in his life was changing.
Often when kids - and even adults - go through major changes in their lives it can help them adjust if they have access to a few familiar things. Those may be foods, bedtime rituals, or favorite toys.
What things were comforting to you when you were a kid?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was young and I would get sick, milk toast or chicken and stars soup were my comfort foods. Even now, after all these years, when I'm sick I'll have either milk toast or chicken and stars soup. Maybe it's partly the good memories from when I was a kid that comes back to me when I eat either of those foods that makes me feel better?

Janet Ann Collins said...

I'm sure that helps.