Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sentimental Stuff

Okay, I admit it; I'm a packrat. When we moved away from a house where we'd lived for thirty years I was amazed at the amount of stuff we got rid of. But there are some impractical things I expect to keep for the rest of my life. Those are the sentimental reminders of my kids.
When my mother died and my brother and I went through her stuff we were both extremely touched by what she found. Of course we expected the family photos, which brought back warm memories, but I was surprised to see the artwork and writing I'd done as a child, some of which was actually quite good. The fact that my mother had kept it showed that she had been proud of my accomplishments and finding it reminded me of her love.
Someday when my own kids and grandkids discover the treasures I've kept I hope it will remind them of my love for them.

4 comments:

VS Grenier said...

I just wanted to let you how much I enjoy your blog and award you the Versatile Blogger Award. You can find out more at http://thewritingmama.blogspot.com/2010/08/i-was-awarded-versatile-blogger-award.html

Janet Ann Collins said...

Thank you very much, Virginia! I'll be sure to share the award with others soon.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS on receiving the Versatile Blogger Award!

I hope my son feels the same way about all the stuff I've saved from him over the years.

Janet Ann Collins said...

Thank you, Susanne.

I hope so, too.