Saturday, January 19, 2019

Stories

When I was a kid my grandfather lived with us.

Every day when we came home from school he’d tell us stories about his life in San Francisco in the 1800s and early 1900s.

We’d hear about the newly invented game of base ball, the San Francisco earthquake in 1906, and how he heard the detective who caught the evil Black Bart tell how he did that.

And Gramp would play his five-stringed banjo and teach us to sing old songs from that time.

Often we’d wish we could just go out and play, but now I’m so glad I got to hear all his stories.

I wish I could tell my grandkids about his stories and things that happened in my own childhood, but they don’t live near me. And they’d probably rather play video games anyway.


Do you share stories with people in your family?

No comments: