Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Little House on the Prairie

     I recently enjoyed re-reading Little House on the Prairie and being carried off to the historical world of  the people who settled America. 
     The book has lost none of its charm, but it would never get accepted for publication today because there's no real plot. The protagonist is years younger than the target reader, she doesn't have a goal and there's no villain or antagonist. While there are a few brief episodes of danger involving wild animals, even the forces of nature are more often helpful than not. 
     But just getting to know the characters and experience their day-to-day life was enough to keep me reading. Laura Ingalls Wilder did an excellent job of creating a realistic world, probably because it was the world she, herself, had experienced as a young child. This book is a great resource for kids learning about American history in school and a pleasure to read just for fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Janet,

I love the Little House series for the historical info. I found another series a while back. Shame on me, but I don't remember the book's name or author's name. I know it's set in the same era. The main character's name is Corey Bell Hollister. (It's a good book for younger & older readers.

Another book that holds a special place in my heart is "To Kill a Mockingbird". I read it every couple years.