Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Importance of Books

In this modern world full of technological advances many people are suggesting books may become obsolete. I think they're wrong.
It is true that books took the place of scrolls, paper took the place of vellum, and printed books took the place of handwritten ones. Maybe in the future people will consider e-books more convenient than hard copy ones. It would certainly be an improvement if students could read their textbooks on e-book readers instead of carrying heavy copies in their backpacks. And there are times when entertaining children with e-books on a small, hand-held device is extremely helpful.
But bookaholics like me will always enjoy turning battery-free pages and nothing can take the place of a parent reading a bedtime story out loud from a traditional picture book.
In the 1940s many people thought TV would make movies obsolete, and my grandfather told me when movies were first invented people said they would completely replace plays. Obviously neither has happened. I think there will always be room for both traditional hard copy books and whatever kinds technological advances produce in the future.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Janet--The importance of books is celebrated in a children's picture book I just discovered by Margriet Ruurs. It's called "My Librarian Is A Camel." The book has beautiful photographs and interesting facts about how people all over the world spread the love of books to children. Some "libraries" come to the children via camel, boats, bicycles...and one place even uses wheel barrows to transport books to the beaches. Many places in the world are only reached by foot or what we would consider other difficult transportation, and yet books are brought to children everywhere. I learned a lot and can't wait to buy this book for my school library! Kathleen

Janet Ann Collins said...

That sounds like a good one. Thanks for sharing, Kathleen.

Sue Fliess said...

For me, I used to (and still do) love to bring a paperback copy to the beach with me - and let the cover get a little wet. Maybe some sand in the binding...then my book has its own story to tell.
Sue

Janet Ann Collins said...

That must be fun, Sue.