Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Horse, of Course

A while back I blogged about a horse book for kids. Here's another that's quite different.
A Horse, of Course by Shari Lyle-Soffe is a funny picture book about Aaron, who gets a horse for his birthday. However, like a little brother or sister, Horace the horse gets all the attention, treats, and other things that used to be Aaron's and makes a general nuisance of himself. Can Aaron find a solution that's best for everyone, including Horace?
The illustrations by Eugene Ruble capture the humorous feeling of the book perfectly.
Although this is a picture book, many older children will find it amusing. Some girls who are "horse crazy" might prefer a more realistic book about horses, but any kids who appreciate humor should like this one.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

I think Shari is sending me a copy of this one. It sounds adorable. We deal with a lot of sibling rivalry around here, so this book might help.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one.

Cheryl

Janet Ann Collins said...

Aaron's solution won't work for your kids, but it's a good way to bring up the topic for family discussion.

Mayra Calvani said...

I also enjoyed reading A Horse, Of Course. The artwork was a riot.

Thanks for stopping by Spanglish Baby, Janet. I appreciate it! :-)

Mayra

Anonymous said...

Shari,
I loved the book & will post6 my own review on my blog and Amazon.
Blessings,
J. Aday Kennedy
The Differently-Abled Children's Author
www.jadaykennedy.com
http://jadaykennedy.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/jessica_k
Coming this winter Klutzy Kantor picture book
http://klutzykantor.blogspot.com/

Shari Lyle-Soffe said...

Janet

I appreciate the review and thank everyone for their comments. I wasn't really thining about sibling rivalry when I wrote it. It was thinking about what is best for others.

Shari