Saturday, December 19, 2009

Christmas Books

At bedtime on Christmas Eve my brother and I always heard The Night Before Christmas and the Bible passages about the birth of Christ read to us. Those Bible verses were in a book of Christmas Carols and we would sing some of those, too. Even when we became old enough to read by ourselves and knew the stories by heart, sharing the books as a family was a tradition in our home. That tradition was one of many things that helped shape who we are today.
There are lots of Christmas books for children available now, and I hope parents who celebrate that holiday will carefully select some of the best to share with their children every year. I don't want to sound conceited, but I believe my picture book, Secret Service Saint, would be a good choice for many families because it helps children understand the importance - and fun - of helping others and giving without expecting to be thanked and praised.
But no matter what books are chosen, hearing the same ones read at every holiday season will help strengthen family ties.

2 comments:

Lea Schizas - Author/Editor said...

I think it's important to start a family tradition, one the children look forward to even as adults. This year I changed my usual and hosting the Christmas dinner. My children were thrown off and asked whether or not we're still doing Christmas Eve, eating, laughing, opening up gifts.

ALthough I didn't plan on hosting two events one after the other, the mere thought that they felt disappointed told me my husband and I did our job. Tickled pink.

Janet Ann Collins said...

Thank you for the comment, Lea. It sounds like you have a loving family. I hope you have a wonderful celebration in spite of the changes.