Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Wonder

I decided to read the book, Wonder, by R. J. Pelacio because I'd heard that it was good.

It not only is a good book, it's one of the best I've ever read, and I've read thousands.

The book is about a boy named Auggie who was born with a severe facial deformity and has been home-schooled all his life. When people see him, they often react with horror or embarrassment.

But Auggie's parents have decided to enroll him in a mainstream school for fifth grade.
He's terrified about how other kids will react to him.

And they do react to his appearance.

The story is realistic - the author obviously understands kids - and the plot is fascinating.

The point of view characters change every so often, but readers are given clear warning when that's happening, so it isn't confusing.

I've always cared about kids with Special Needs, and my tagline is, Opening Eyes, Opening Hearts.
Wonder will certainly open the eyes and hearts of kids who read it, but it's also a just, plain, good story.

I hope Palacio will write more books in the future, but it will be difficult to produce any as good as this one.

No comments: