Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My Tagline

Several years ago I was trying to figure out a tagline for my webpage and asked members of my critique group for help.  Acting on their suggestions I chose to use "Opening Eyes, Opening Hearts."

Why?

Because, as my friends reminded me, most things I write involve people with special needs or who are different in some way. I try to help kids - and adults - understand and accept others like that.

And that topic applies to most of my books. The Peril of the Sinister Scientist includes a girl who uses a wheelchair as a main character and Signs of Trouble is about kids who get separated from their Special Ed class on a field trip. Even the giant, talking worm in Slime & All is sort of an allegorical character who is feared because he is different.

I guess my own experience as a kid who was teased and bullied and my many years of working with kids who have special needs have made it impossible for me not to care about others in similar situations. I hope the things I write about really do help to open people's eyes and, as a result, help them to open their hearts.


2 comments:

Connie Arnold said...

Thank you for what you do to help open people's eyes and hearts about those with special needs through your writing. There is a valuable lesson children can learn through each of your books.

Janet Ann Collins said...

Thanks, Connie.