Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Disasters

Years ago members of a Yahoo group I belonged to got into a discussion about which is the worst natural disaster.

To my surprise, everyone said they preferred the sort that happened where they lived. People in hurricane areas said you always have warning that they're coming and can shelter from them. People who lived where there are tornadoes said those only touch a narrow area  so most people are okay. People who lived in earthquake country said big quakes only happen once every few decades.

In my opinion, wildfires are the worst disasters because they happen often, can cover large areas, there may not be a warning that one has started, and you can't shelter from them. I'm sure the people in Colorado agree with me.

But many wildfires are caused by people so maybe those aren't natural disasters. However they're still something to be concerned about.

I wrote an article a while back that tells things even kids can do to help prevent them. Here's a link to that article:
http://www.guardian-angel-kids.com/apr012-pg6-articlekids.htm

No comments: