Saturday, July 7, 2012

The First Americans

The First Americans is about the history of Native Americans, beginning with their travel over the land bridge to this continent and describing tribes in various parts of the continent. It has just enough facts to be interesting and informative without being overwhelming.

This educational book by Kelly Bakshi was released in time for the Fourth of July, probably because it's about American history. However I think it will be more appreciated in the Fall because school curriculums deal with Native Americans then. Both teachers and young students will appreciate the valuable information in this book.

The story of each tribe's culture is told in a charming way by a fictional child. Readers will learn about the Inuits in Alaska, Kwakuitl of the Northwest Coast, Hopi tribe of the Southwest, Dakotas, who lived on the great plains, Iroquis of the Eastern Woodlands, and the Natchez tribe of the Southeast.

Young readers will especially enjoy the chapter about games and sports.

The many photos show more about the world of each tribe and the numerous activities at the end will help kids learn more while having fun.

I highly recommend this book


8 comments:

penelope anne cole said...

Hi Jan, very nice and informative review.

Unknown said...

This looks inviting and is an important topic. I've sent it on its way socially from this end.

Janet Ann Collins said...

Thanks for sharing about the book, Nancy.

Susan Hornbach said...

Hi Connie, great review! I also reviewed this book and will post it next week. I think this book is written to draw a child's interest, and leave them remembering what they have learned. Thanks for sharing.

Susan B James said...

Thanks, Janet. I want to read it now.

Margo Dill said...

I wish I would have had a book like this when teaching fifth grade social studies. I was always looking for creative ideas and resources when I was teaching the Native American unit. Sounds great!

Janet Ann Collins said...

It is, Margot.

Kelly Bakshi said...

Janet- Thanks so much for your kind review. I hope students find it to be a user friendly resource.