Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Why I Read

Why do I read so much?

I'm a bookaholic with no intention of getting into recovery.

I learned to read well at an early age and discovered books could take me away from my troubles. My father had died, we were poor, I had severe, chronic asthma and got teased and bullied in school. Books took me away from all that.

They also opened up new worlds to me. I learned a lot about another culture and another time in history from the Heidi series and The Little House in the Big Woods. Those were some of the first "big kid books" I owned.

And that made me aware that I could explore the world and learn a lot by reading fiction and non-fiction.

Books have helped me understand other people and both the fiction and non-fiction ones I've read have enriched my life in more ways than I can explain.

Years ago I wrote this poem which tells why I love to read. (Feel free to share it as long as you give me credit.)

The Library

by

Janet Ann Collins


In the library I look and look

Until I choose one special book.

I open the book and there I see

A world of wonders waiting for me.

I read the book and then I find

All of those wonders are now in my mind.      
-->

2 comments:

penelope anne cole said...

Hi Jan, I love libraries and bookstores (that used to let you sit and read, but now there's mostly just B&N and it's not that close.) I read mostly middle grade now. I want to be inspired and uplifted and I want to write those kinds of books. Keep up the good work.

Janet Ann Collins said...

Thanks, Penelope.
And thanks for commenting here and not just on Facebook.