Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Vote, Vote, Vote

Like me, you are probably tired of campaign ads. I'll be glad to have this election over and done with.

But the constant barrage of commercials has reminded me of that old song from the days when women had to fight for the right to vote. I couldn't find the lyrics online, but here's the version I remember:

Vote, vote, vote for Johnny.
In comes Mary at the door.
Mary is a lady
And she knows how to vote
So we don't need Johnny anymore.

As I mentioned in this post
http://onwordsblog.blogspot.com/2013/01/how-stay-at-home-moms-began.html
thousands of years ago there were logical reasons for men and women to have different roles. But times have changed.

The Women's Suffrage movement was started by Ellen Clarke Sargent and her husband in Nevada County, CA. That was in 1878, but it wasn't until 1920 that the 19th Amendment to the Constitution made it legal for women to vote in the United States.

So, no matter how fed up we are with the current election, I hope all the American women who read this will appreciate their right to vote and use it today.


No comments: