Saturday, April 21, 2018

Favorite Age

Preschoolers are my favorite age to work with. But what’s my favorite age to be?
Of course I can’t remember my infancy, but I do remember being preschool age. I had lots of fun and learned new things all the time, but I had almost no control of my life.
In grade school I learned a lot and had the freedom to go out and play, but I got teased a lot in school, had to work hard there, and the grown-ups controlled everything.
My teen years were probably my least favorite age to be. Yes, some fun and exciting things happened, but there was constant pressure to do well in school, to try to be popular (I wasn’t) and to plan the rest of my life by choosing a career.
As a young adult there was a lot to adapt to, like college, getting and working at jobs, making new friends, and choosing a life partner. In some ways that was a great time, but it wasn’t easy.
Middle age involved more working, raising a family, and dealing with life in general. In some ways it was difficult and in other ways it was wonderful.
Now that I’m government certified old (I get social security) I must deal with more health problems, and lots of people I love have died. Grief isn’t fun. But I have more freedom than I had during most of my life. 
I guess every age has plusses and minuses but I’ve had a good life. I’m grateful even for some things I didn’t like at the time, and  enjoy my life.

What is or was your favorite age to be?

No comments: