Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Some Repetition

Considering recent news stories, I've decided to repost something I've previously said here.

The reaction of the people in the South Carolina church to the shootings showed love and forgiveness, as Christians are supposed to do.

Here's what I said before that I think is relevant:

One of my college Psychology professors gave us this definition of love: "When the happiness and well-being of another is essential to one's own happiness and well-being a state of love exists."

Today I want to talk about hate.

Since hate is the opposite of love the logical definition would be: "When the unhappiness and suffering of another is essential to one's own happiness and well-being a state of hate exists."

That means when we hate someone, we give them control over our own lives.

Forgiveness means choosing not to seek punishment or revenge and, while it seems difficult, it's actually much easier than hating someone who has offended or harmed us because it frees us from the bonds of hatred.

I hope the example of those people will help more of us choose love and forgiveness.

No comments: