Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Bedtime Stories

When I was a kid one of our parents read to us every night at bedtime. My brother and I would each get to choose one book to hear.

I had quite a few Little Golden Books. I remember The Bedtime Story Book, Circus Time, and many others. And, of course, there were fairy tales.

I wanted to hear a different story every night, but my brother always wanted the same on. I had to listen to The Animals of Farmer Jones every single night for several years.

Probably having books read to me helped inspire my love of reading and I've been a bookaholic as long as I can remember.

Back in the 1940s parents were told they shouldn't try to teach their kids to read because they'd do it wrong and the kids would have to unlearn what the parents had taught when they started school.

And reading wasn't taught until first grade.

My first grade teacher was terrible, but I, and some other kids, started second grade reading at fifth grade level.

Years ago I read a scientific study that showed the only thing the best students at the best universities in America had in common was that their parents read to them every day.

Reading to little kids is important!


2 comments:

penelope anne cole said...

Hi Jan,
Yes, reading to kids is so important--it should be taught in parenting classes! We were read to as kids. Mostly from the Childcraft books. They were red volumes and I mostly remember the fairy tales and nursery rhymes. We had Little Golden Books, too. I'm sure we read them enough to memorize all the nursery rhymes. And then we'd sing together, too. Bedtime memories, sigh. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, Penny (www.penelopeannecole.com)

Janet Ann Collins said...

Thank you, Penny.