Saturday, August 22, 2015

Bo at Iditarod Creek

Kirkpatrick Hill has written an amazing book for kids.

One of my great uncles was involved in the Alaska Gold Rush, but I never knew anything about that time and culture until I read this book. The story happens after the actual gold rush, but takes place in mining communities.

Unfortunately some of the story is a bit disturbing since it involves child abuse. But, overall, the plot is exciting and the ending is positive.

I love the way the author managed to reveal so much about the culture and environment naturally as the plot progressed. The characters, especially the protagonist Bo, seem alive and I cared about them.

Reading this book was like being transported to the time and place where it happened.

The illustrations by LeUyen Pham are cute and just frequent enough to help carry the story along without taking attention away from the plot.

In my opinion, Bo at Iditarod Creek ought to win an award.

No comments: