Saturday, January 3, 2009

Time to Read

Happy New Year!
Nearly every culture in the Northern hemisphere has some sort of important holiday near this time of year. When the nights get longer and the weather gets colder  I guess people need something to cheer them up.
But celebrations aren't the only thing to enjoy. Several years ago I moved from the San Francisco Bay Area, where light snow may arrive about every ten years, to the Sierra foothills where Winter snow is a given. I love it, as long as I don't have to drive.
Both rain and snow can be beautiful, but in both places I especially love spending a winter day indoors, curling up with a good book. Several people who know me well gave me books for Christmas and I've already read and enjoyed some of them. 
If you're feeling gloomy and need some cheering up, I highly recommend heading to your local library or bookstore and stocking up on hours of pleasure to enjoy during the stormy days yet to come.

No comments: