Saturday, February 14, 2009

Another Oldie But Goodie

One advantage to staying home with a cold was the necessity of reading books from my own library since I couldn't go out to get other books and didn't have the energy to do much else but read. Last week I re-read Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw. It had been my favorite book when I was about 13 years old and I had read and re-read it many times back then. It had just enough romance to appeal to a girl of that age while, at the same time, it was full of adventure and carried me into a new world, that of ancient Egypt.  To my surprise, last week I enjoyed re-reading it as much as I had as a kid. It's not exactly a classic, but certainly has all the qualities required to become one. The characters are interesting and believable, the setting is fascinating and real, and the plot is full of action and surprises. That book and a box of tissues were all I needed to turn a crummy day into a pretty good one.

1 comment:

Terra said...

Hi Jan,
That is great you could rediscover your enjoyment of a book you loved as a child.
I read your post on TWV today, about your Christmas themed book. I also have written a Christmas book, published in 2008.
On about Oct. 1 I suggest that you and I interview each other, on our blogs, about our books.
Let me know if you like this idea.
I am going to follow you on twitter.
Terra www.twitter.com/terragarden