Saturday, August 8, 2009

Babe & Me

Recently I bought Babe & Me: A Baseball Card Adventure by Dan Gutman for my grandson and asked his permission to read the book myself. Since I'm not a baseball fan I didn't expect to like it much, but wanted to know what he was reading.
To my surprise, I loved the book! It isn't just about sports, but included time travel, family relationships, and a lot of interesting (even to me) information about baseball history.
This book is one of a series about a kid who is able to travel back to encounter the famous baseball heroes in his collection of classical baseball cards.
What collector hasn't wished to do that? In this one Babe Ruth is portrayed like he might really have been.
Gutman manages to recreate the way things used to be in a believable way and avoids some of the cliches used in many books about time travel. But what kept me turning the pages until I finished the book were the complex and believable relationships between the characters.
I highly recommend this book.

No comments: