Saturday, December 5, 2009

Dog Language

How to Speak Dog, Mastering the Art of Dog-Human Communication by Stanley Coren is one of the most fascinating books I've ever read. After reading a library copy I bought one to keep because it's worth reading and referring to many times.
Coren's book reminds me of Brenda, a deaf dalmation we once had who learned to understand over 350 American Sign Language signs and taught us lots of the canine language Coren mentions in his book.
Anyone interested in animal sciences or linguistics would probably like reading the book, but, although Coren is a professor, the writing style is not academic. Families with pets can learn a lot about how to communicate with them and get them to behave from the book. How to Speak Dog also includes some information about communication with cats and, as we found from our experience with Brenda, many dog gestures are also used by other animals.
I highly recommend this book.

2 comments:

Mayra Calvani said...

Sounds like a fascinating book, Jan. Thanks for sharing this. I'm going to check it out.

Janet Ann Collins said...

Thanks, Mayra. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.