Saturday, July 17, 2010

Drama

Last night I watched a children's theater performance. A kid I knew was in it, but it was so well done I'd have enjoyed it even if I hadn't known any cast members.
That reminded me of my own experiences acting in plays when I was a child. Our community had a Junior Theater and dozens of kids spent several days a week every Summer preparing for two nights of performances. We also did some plays at school and church and the neighborhood kids sometimes put on shows we made up ourselves for our parents.
Performing was fun, did a lot to increase my self esteem, and has given me many happy memories.
Later my own kids did some performing and as a teacher I wrote and directed some plays for students. (One of those eventually became a picture book, Secret Service Saint, which was published last year.) I've also seen many performances by kids I know.
And over the years I've seen many children overcome their fear, increase their self esteem, develop their talents, and grow in many other ways as a result of performing in public. When kids participate in dramatic productions it can have a positive effect that will last for the rest of their lives.

No comments: