Saturday, January 29, 2011

What's Important

A few days ago I blogged about people using kids as status symbols. That's not a good thing to do.
But there are lots of other things used in our society for status that aren't as harmful. Let's see, a nice home, a car, a college education, a well-paying job, and the latest tech devices can all show that someone is doing well in life.
There's nothing wrong with having things like that and it's only natural to be proud of our achievements.
But I'm afraid in our society a lot of people substitute status for the really important things in life. We need to be loved for who we are, not what we possess. Fifty years from now I'd much rather be remembered for the lives I've touched and the people I've helped than for the things I've owned. What would you like to be remembered for?