Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Pink And Blue

I was two-and-a-half years old when my brother was born and loved having a baby brother. He was cute and I loved being allowed to hold him and give him his bottle.
Whenever we went out walking to the store or to visit a neighbor our mother would push my little brother in his baby carriage. (We lived on the East coast so they were called carriages, but out West everyone called them baby buggies.) Unlike today's strollers, the carriages had no straps and needed high sides so the babies couldn't fall out.
I enjoyed the walks except for one thing; nearly ever adult person we encountered would ask my mother if the baby was a boy or a girl and she would have to stop and tell them. Often the person would then waste time oohing and aahing over my brother. I found that very irritating and wondered why people cared about the gender of babies they didn't even know.
I decided when I grew up I'd get someone to invent colored baby carriages. All boy babies would have blue ones and all girl babies would have pink carriages. That way nobody would need to stop people to ask about their babies and life would be much simpler - at least life from a two-year-old's point of view.

No comments: