Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Earthquakes, etc.

Any kids who have been scared or just became interested in earthquakes because of the recent one in the state of Virginia might enjoy reading Earthquake by Susan J. Berger.
Maybe it's just because with all the modern technology we're much more aware of things happening in parts of the world far from our homes, but it seems to me there have been more earthquakes and volcanoes than usual in recent years.
Somebody told me that might be because of all the petroleum and minerals humans have removed from underground, but I find that difficult to believe because our planet is so big. I'm reminded of another book I used to read to my classes, Is A Blue Whale The Biggest Thing There Is? by Robert E. Wells. (It was published in 1993, but copies might still be available.) That book shows how small we humans really are.
But if there actually are more earthquakes and volcanoes happening lately, what could be the cause? Or are we just hearing more about them?

2 comments:

Susan B James said...

It feels to me too that we are having more earthquakes than usual. But I'm not sure my feeling is correct. According to USGS we are having an average number of strong earthquakes. I think more of them have occurred in populated area than is usual.

Janet Ann Collins said...

I guess that's hopeful. Not that they're in populated areas, but that there aren't more than usual.