Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Dream Family

When I was a kid, maybe in my early teens, sometimes I'd lay awake at night daydreaming about my life as an adult. I wanted to be a wife, a writer and a mother, all of which I did achieve, though none quite as I had imagined.
In my youthful dreams I also designed an ideal modern house, town and planned my perfect family to live there. I decided to have a son named Robert and three daughters who would be named Anastasia Joy, Christine Elizabeth and Evelyn Ruth.
Well, I do have a son-in-law named Robert, but none of the other plans even came close. My husband and I had one birth daughter and three foster sons with special needs and raised them in a Victorian house.
But my real life was undoubtably preferable to the one I had imagined.
Sometimes we're better off when our dreams don't come true. Are there any dreams you're glad didn't happen?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Janet! Your post made me think of that song, UNANSWERED PRAYERS. I'm thankful I didn't marry the guy I thought I would. Instead, I'm married to my wonderful husband, Glenn. We'll be celebrating our 21st anniversary this year.

I always dreamed of living in a cottage type house, with a white picket fence, and four children running underfoot. I didn't get the house of my dreams, but that's okay. I only have one son. I feel it was part of God's plan and meant to be because I've dealt with health issues.

It is interesting to compare what we used to think our life would be like to what it actually turned out to be.

Susanne
PUTTING WORDS DOWN ON PAPER

Janet Ann Collins said...

Thanks, Susanne. Glad to know you agree with me about the value of some unanswered dreams.