Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Getting Books

As an author I must admit I want people to buy my books. Like everyone else, I need money.  But, as a reader, I must admit I often read books for free, or for very little money.

First, I've used public libraries since I first learned to read, and I love them. I usually read about five or six library books (mostly middle-grade fiction) every week.

Libraries are wonderful. A few years ago our county considered privatizing our libraries and the entire community banded together to keep that from happening. Obviously I'm not the only one who loves libraries.

Then there are second hand book stores, and book sales, many of which raise funds to help libraries or other organizations.

In our community we have a monthly free book swap where people can donate as many books as they want and take home as many as they want.

Sometimes people who know me give me books as gifts, or I exchange books with author friends.

And, although I'm old fashioned and prefer hard copies to e-readers, I've downloaded free e-books from the internet and even bought a few.

Of course if I'm buying a book as a gift for someone else I get them new hard copies, and if I expect to read a book again and again or use it for reference I do sometimes purchase new ones for myself.

As my bumper sticker proclaims, "Bookaholics Unite"

What kind of books do you like to read?

2 comments:

brad/futuristguy said...

I tend to read young adult literature for "recuperation" ... as the research reading required for my job and/or own writing often involve incredibly intense topics of non-fiction. Also, sci-fi or fantasy (even if it ends up happening in semi-intense dystopian settings).

With YAL, I'm reminded of Philip Pullman's opening line in accepting his Carnegie Medal: "There are some themes, some subjects, too large for adult fiction; they can only be dealt with adequately in a children's book."

Works for me ...

Janet Ann Collins said...

Okay, Brad, I admit that I read a lot more books intended for kids than for adults. Guess I'm still a kid at heart.