Saturday, October 1, 2016

Childhood

Recently I've posted about things I remember from my childhood. I often post about books for kids, because I enjoy reading - and writing - those.

In many ways I'm still a kid on the inside. I love playing with my dog, taking walks in the woods, and using my imagination.

But would I want to go back to being a child?

It would be nice to have my mother do the cooking and shopping, but would I want her always telling me what to do again?

It would be fun to play imaginative games with my friends, but I can still share things we imagine with people in my critique groups.

And would I want to give up my own memories of becoming a wife, raising my kids and all the other things I've experienced and learned? NO!!

As the old song about childhood says, "Once you've crossed its borders you can never return again."

But it might be fun to go back once in a while and experience life through a kid's eyes for a short time. Come to think of it, that's what I do when I read and write books for kids.

What about you? Would you like to become a kid again?

No comments: