Saturday, February 11, 2017

Loving Kids by Reading

When I was a little kid one of my parents always read to me from a picture book before having me say a prayer, kissing me good night, and tucking me in.

When my brother was old enough each of us would get to choose a book for our bedtime stories.

He ALWAYS picked the same one, The Animals of Farmer Jones.

I would have preferred to hear another different story every night besides the one I chose, but that was his preference.

Having our parents read to us made both of us feel loved.

I've mentioned before that scientific studies have shown reading to young children helps their academic abilities when they're older.

But that's not as important as making them feel loved, and reading stories as part of the bedtime ritual certainly helps do that.

Did your parents read to you when you were too young to read?

If they did, what were your favorite bedtime stories?

No comments: