Saturday, February 10, 2018

Facebook

Back in 2009 when my first book was under contract to be published I joined Facebook. I understood that was a great way to market books.

It wasn’t long before I had about 2000 Facebook “friends,” but most of them were either people I was already in contact with, or other authors who wanted me to buy their books.

But even though Facebook hasn’t worked well for me as a marketing tool, I enjoy using it to keep in touch with old friends, family members who live far away, and other writers I’ve met at conferences.

But now Facebook has changed how it works and, like many other people, I’m not happy with the changes.

I understand only people who respond to posts with more than simply ‘liking’ them will continue to be able to see things from the person who writes them. 

I’ve had dozens of people asking me to respond to their posts with a word so they can stay connected, but that will only last for a while. I don’t know how often we’ll need to reply to each person we want to stay in touch with before we loose contact with them on Facebook. Maybe once a month?

But how can I go to all 2000 of my ‘Friends’ and type something even once, much less again and again.

And maybe a lot of people will leave Facebook because of this change.


I wish they would go back to the way things used to be.

No comments: