Saturday, March 10, 2018

Children's Theater

Children’s Theater
I grew up in a small town in Marin County, California, which was then a semi-rural area. 
Every Summer a group of mothers led Fairfax Junior Theater. Back then most women were stay-at-home moms but, since my mother had been widowed so she had to have a job, she couldn’t participate.
Kids from all over town joined the free group. I loved participating in it!
I never got a staring roll (those always went to kids whose mothers were running the program) but I usually got an important one. I specially enjoyed getting to play the part of an evil character.
Today, since we no longer have many stay-at-home moms, parents must pay for their kids to participate in programs like this. And that means roles are assigned more fairly.
But, otherwise, children’s theater is a lot like it was back in the 1940s and ‘50s.
This afternoon I plan to see a play put on by PAG, the local children’s theater in Grass Valley, where I now live.

I know I’ll enjoy the performance, and it will bring back memories of my own performances as a kid.

No comments: