Saturday, January 21, 2012

Dragons

Monday will be Chinese New Year, and, according to their calendar, this will be the year of the dragon. I used to live in the San Francisco Bay Area where I enjoyed watching parades with lines of people dancing in a dragon costume.
In that culture dragons are considered symbols of good luck, but in European ones dragons were considered evil and dangerous.
It's interesting that in both Asian and European cultures people believed in dragons. Perhaps in both areas they had found skeletons of dinosaurs and guessed what sort of creatures those bones must have belonged to.
In both cases, the concept of dragons inspired many myths and legends. As a kid I loved reading about dragons and, to tell the truth, I still do. Those stories have enriched the imaginations of children for many generations. Maybe someday I'll write one myself.
What's your favorite dragon story?

No comments: