Saturday, February 8, 2014

Who was Thomas Ken?

Every Sunday when the words to the Doxology ("Praise God from whom all blessings flow...) appear on the screen of my church I notice the tiny words at the bottom of the screen saying they were written by Thomas Ken in 1674.

And every time I see his name I wonder who that man was.

I looked him up on the internet and found he was a clergyman in the Church of England. Several times he stood up for what he believed was right even at risk of serious penalties to himself. He wrote a lot of other things, but only a couple of his hymns are still available.

However the few words in the Doxology have been inspiring people for over three hundred years!

I wish I could be like him.

Of course Thomas Ken is not the only one who wrote things long ago people still read today. There are hundreds of classics and historical documents still around.

But every time I see the name of Thomas Ken I wish I could write something that will touch people in the future.

Do any of you other writers feel that way?

1 comment:

penelope anne cole said...

Hi Jan, thanks for sharing. I've not noticed his name. We now sing a different version, and the words are on the screen without credit to Rev. Ken. And yes, I hope some of my writing survives into the future. I'd even be happy to have it get wider exposure now!