Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Good and Bad Teachers 3

The second worst teacher I ever had was my High School Algebra teacher. 
I’ve never liked math (One of my earlier posts tells a reason for that) but he made that subject even worse. 
He always spoke in a monotone and went on and on every day talking about things I had no interest in. 
I could hardly keep my eyes open in his class it was so boring, and sometimes other students did actually fall asleep there.
Because I missed so many days due to illness in the first semester of High School I flunked Algebra and had to take it again the following year, with the same boring teacher.
Later when I took advanced algebra I had to endure him yet again. 
And, even though I passed those classes, Algebra never made sense to me.
Several years later when one of my college Linguistics professors used algebraic formulas to explain sentence structure I suddenly understood what Algebra was really about. 

If only my High School Algebra teacher had  told us things like that I would have enjoyed the subject, and had an easier time staying awake in his class.

No comments: