Saturday, July 14, 2018

Earthquakes

Yesterday the weather here in the Sierra foothills of northern CA was overcast and muggy. That’s very unusual in this area.
When I was a kid my grandfather lived with us, and I grew up hearing stories about the 1906 earthquake in San Francisco. 
Because the quake and resulting fires destroyed homes, people camped outside for days, and the weather was overcast and muggy then. People who had experienced that event called it earthquake weather for he rest of their lives. Of course it didn't cause the quakes.
When the Loma Prieta earthquake happened in 1989 I lived in a victorian house that swayed from side to side during the quake. Fortunately very little damage was done to our home, but a lot was done to other structures in the area.
Earthquakes are rare, but very dangerous. Just think about what has happened more recently in Haiti.
It’s the movement of the tectonic plates below the surface of the earth that causes them, and I’m afraid all the lava pouring out from the volcanic eruptions in Hawaii may cause the Pacific tectonic plate to move. 
I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a major earthquake in the next few months. I hope I’m wrong.


No comments: