Wednesday, January 23, 2019

ASL Book

I used to work at California School for the Deaf and raised three Deaf foster kids. I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area most of my life.

I was thrilled to read You Don’t Know everything Jilly P by Alex Gino because it perfectly portrayed what the culture in that area is like. 

The story is about a hearing girl who has a Deaf sister and becomes friends with a Deaf boy through an internet chat group. 

Things have changed a lot since I worked at CSD. The internet didn’t exist yet and the school was in Berkeley instead of Fremont. The book shows today’s culture in the area perfectly.

Alex Gino is a skilled writer and made me care about all the characters as the story unfolded.


The book will help readers understand differences while carrying them along with a dramatic plot. And they might even learn a little ASL (American Sign Language.)

No comments: